In our historic and architectural photography work we have documented our beautiful historic town of Winchester, Virginia (circa 1732) which is under now under restoration including the famous “Loudoun Street Pedestrian Mall.” We have been documenting the city for the last ten years including photo walks and historic events. This image depicts it now and is a part of our Historic Winchester Art on Canvas Series in HDR.
The mall houses many of our historic buildings including our Old Court House Civil War Museum (1852) which has been wonderfully captured by Mort Kunsler in his beautiful painting “After the Snow.” [See our earlier posts of this historic city for our courthouse and civil war images.]
“Winchester and Frederick County was once Shawnee Indian camping grounds to which Pennsylvania Quakers came to settle in 1732. The town was named Frederick Town after Frederick, father of George III of England. In 1752 the name was changed to Winchester in honor of the ancient English capital. In the mid-1700’s, Frederick County became the military and political training ground for George Washington, who came here at the age of sixteen to survey the lands of Thomas, the Sixth lord Fairfax. Washington built Fort Loudoun during the French and Indian War and, at twenty-six, was elected to his first public office as the county’s representative to the House of Burgesses. During the Revolutionary War, Daniel Morgan’s Rifleman from Frederick County were among the first who came to Washington’s aid against the British. Winchester was a strategic prize of great importance during the Civil War. The area became the scene of six battles during the Civil War, and the city itself changed flags around seventy times during the four year conflict. General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson demonstrated his military leadership in the Valley Campaign.” 1/
1/ [Description Credit: Winchester Visitor Center]